Tuesday, July 3, 2012

TESTING: Day 5




DOG:
Lily
DATE:
7/3/2012
SCENT TYPE:  (clothing/saliva/other)
spit
ORIGIN:
Donor 1
DATE OF CAPTURE:
6/9/2012
AGE WHEN USED:
5th day of Sample 1
SAMPLE CONDITION: (frozen/refrigerated/room temp/other)
room temperature (not refrigerated overnight)
SAMPLE STATE: (gauze/dental cotton/cloth/hydrated/other)
cotton round
INTENSITY:  (# of holes)
5
CONTAINER TYPE:
film canister
# of CONTAINERS:
1-6
# of SCENT OPTIONS:
2-6
MODE of PRESENTATION: (hand/surface/wheel/other)
12" scent wheel
SESSIONS:
1
3
4
5
Description
2 option
2 option
1 option
2 option
Reps:
14
19
10
16
% Success Rate:
85
50
90
85
Time:
1:54
2:00
:56
1:44
ORIGIN of SAMPLE:  Tonic/clonic seizure; spit samples collected on cotton rounds and a roll of gauze (ran out of cotton rounds).  Clonazepam given after 2 minutes of seizure activity.  

COMMENTS:   

  • Sample 1
    • hydrated
    • refrigerated between use
    • EXCEPTION: forgot to refrigerate between use

Until today, the handling protocol had been to use the left hand only to touch canisters and containers, plastic bags, container lids and the scent wheel; to use the right hand only to handle and dispense treats and clicker.  In Session 1 the left hand was contaminated by dispensing treats with the left hand.  NOTE: Session 1 the left hand is used to dispense treats and to subsequently handle all training materials.

No data was entered for Session 2.  The video however, is submitted as data and the video is presented in order.  NOTE: various changes were made in subsequent training sessions in an attempt to determine the sudden change in Lily's behavior and success rate.

Stress signs observed: scratching, shaking body, obvious signs observed in Session 2.





Wheel Session 1
#1: sample
#2: dummy
(CONTAMINATION: use of left hand to deliver treats)




Wheel Session 2
#3: sample
#6: dummy



Wheel Session 3
#1: dummy
#4: sample



Wheel Session 4
#1: sample



Wheel Session 5
#1: sample
#5: (fresh) dummy




NARRATIVE:
I just completed 5 training sessions. 4 were VERY frustrating for Lily. Shame on me for persevering......I was trying to determine the cause of her frustration. 

When I looked at the video of the first session, I saw the reason why. 

ALWAYS, during these sessions, I have used my left hand only for handling the containers, opening and sealing the bags, etc. and ALWAYS have used my right hand only for handling treats, dispensing treats, etc. 

Day 5 Session 1 is dispensed treats WITH MY LEFT HAND! And every subsequent session was therefore contaminated. And every subsequent session was more and more frustrating to Lily. I added dummy containers w/my left hand, I turned the scent wheel wi/my left hand, I handled the plastic bags w/my left hand. All "normal" left hand tasks.....but now that hand had been contaminated by handling treats. 

So.............. where do I go from here?